top of page

Setting up an equestrian centre

Setting up an equestrian centre in France may not be as simple as one would think. The activity itself is relevant to planning consent as it may be considered as a leisure activity, but could also be considered as either agricultural or professional. Different regulations apply to each, and to complicate matters there are regional variations and interpretations which could mean that the definition of a project applied in one area may be different to the same project in another area. People with horses kept just for pleasure would not be considered as any kind of professional activity, but the construction of any stables would still be subject to planning consent.

inside an equestrian centre

Field shelters: Generally speaking, no permissions are required for simple field shelters as they are not permanent and are open-sided. Fully enclosed shelters fall into a different planning bracket so may require consent.


Stables: As a permanent structure, the construction of any stable will require planning consent. It is more likely that equestrian properties will be in rural areas rather than urban ones, meaning the land is most likely to be zoned as agricultural. In agricultural areas, planning consent for any construction which is not used for farming purposes can be difficult, so care is needed before commencing the property purchase process to be sure that the project is feasible. It may be that no constructions are possible at all, but more likely that there would be limitations on size – perhaps 30 m² or so, which severely restricts the number of horses which could be stabled. Assuming permission is possible, the local planning office may have specific limitations on design and style, so that needs to be checked in advance too.


Barns: Using existing barns for equestrian purposes is much less likely to cause any planning issues as by definition barns are agricultural in nature. Fencing: Erecting stock fencing is unlikely to require planning consent, though it is a good idea to check with the local town hall in advance.


Professional use: Using land or buildings for professional reasons where members of the public come onto the property – in this case perhaps riding lessons, livery, etc., potentially results in the need for compliance with fire safety and disabled access regulations, which can be complex.


Obtaining relevant planning consent my cost 3,000 – 4,000 €, so build that into your financial budgeting.

Want to know more? Please do get in touch

bottom of page